While driver error is a common cause of car wrecks, the design and maintenance of roadways themselves is another frequent cause. Defective roads, streets, highways, intersections, shoulders, ditches and signs can all be the underlying reason for an accident, or at least a contributing one.
If you have been injured or have lost a loved one due to a roadway design defect or poor maintenance, the KY road defect accident lawyers at the Johnson Law Firm are here to help. From his office in Pikeville, Attorney Billy Johnson has made it his life’s work to help people throughout Kentucky. With over 15 years of experience, Billy has handled litigation in the United States Court of Appeals, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky, the United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, and the United States Bankruptcy Court.
When mistakes are made during construction or proper safety measures are not taken, serious traffic accidents can result. It is the responsibility of the state, counties and cities to provide safe roads for those who use them. While government entities benefit from a concept known as “qualified immunity” that can make it difficult to successfully bring a lawsuit against them, it is not impossible. Skilled legal representation may be able to trace accident-causing road defects back to the negligent actions of local, state or federal governments. Of course, multiple parties may be at fault, and private contractors can also be held accountable.
Determining whether a road hazard is a defect or the result of improper maintenance can be difficult. Some unsafe conditions that are often a focus of hazardous roadway lawsuits include:
- Dangerous exit ramps
- Dangerous intersections
- Debris that has not been removed in a timely manner
- Defective traffic lights or street lights
- Excessive ice accumulation
- Extreme shoulder drop-off (a greater than two-inch difference can pose a serious hazard, especially for motorcycles)
- Hazardous curves
- Improperly designated construction zones (construction crews are responsible for providing traffic control)
- Improperly placed barriers
- Inadequate highway division, edge lines or line striping
- Lack of or inadequate guardrails
- Lack of signs to indicate merging traffic, shoulder issues, upcoming construction zones, one-way streets, wrong-way on ramps, etc.
- No median barricades
- No shoulder
- Pooling water due to drainage issues (improper grading or paving can lead to hydroplaning)
- Poor visibility
- Signs obstructed by shrubbery or trees
- Uneven pavement
- Unsafe bridges or overpasses
- Unsafe railroad crossings
- Unsafe speed limits.
Dangerous roadways often have a history of crashes, whether they are caused by the same defect or a pattern of similar defects in the area. No matter what or who you believe caused your auto wreck, it is best to consult an attorney who knows how to investigate your accident and how to gather information about previous accidents, documented concerns by government officials, safety audits, maintenance records and driver complaints. Exposing dangerous and defective streets can not only help you recover money for your medical bills, car repairs and time out of work, it can also lead to safety improvements and prevent future accidents from occurring.
KY road defect accident lawyer Billy Johnson believes that those who cause harm to others should be held accountable for their actions. This includes paying compensation to accident victims for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and, in the event of a fatal accident, wrongful death. A proven advocate, Billy is a proud member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums. Put his experience to work for you by calling the Johnson Law Firm at 606-433-0682 or by filling out this consultation form for a free assessment of your case.