There is nothing more terrifying than being in the passenger seat of a vehicle with a member of your family or a close friend on a road in Kentucky and then, suddenly, being slammed into by another vehicle driven by someone who is intoxicated or distracted. Glass shards are flying through the air in every direction, metal is being crushed and twisted, and passengers are being flung across seats and into the dashboard.
In a significant number of collisions, victims sustain life-threatening injuries or die. Because of their injuries, people who are involved in car accidents frequently miss a significant number of days of work, which results in a lower amount of money coming in to cover their financial obligations.
Being hospitalized for several days or weeks as a result of an auto accident injury is not uncommon. It’s like being hit by a perfect storm, which can leave you feeling hopeless and in a lot of pain. If you or a member of your family has been hurt as a result of a car accident, you may be eligible to receive monetary compensation. This is especially the case if the accident was brought about by the carelessness of another individual.
A car accident lawyer in Hazard, Kentucky who is both skilled and experienced can fight aggressively for your rights to ensure that you receive the justice that you deserve. You don’t have to find yourself saddled with exorbitant medical bills and lost wages if you don’t want to. Get more information about how we can assist you by contacting Billy Johnson Law Firm at (606) 437-4488.
Causes of Car Accidents in Hazard, KY
A Hazard, KY Car Accident Attorney Explains Why Crashes Can Be Deadly
Unsafe driving behavior by another motorist, inclement weather, road debris, and other factors can all contribute to automobile collisions. Some typical contributors to auto accidents in the Hazard, KY area are:
- Disobeying rules of the road
- Distracted driving
- Driver is under the influence of drugs or is drunk driving
- Driver fatigue
- Snow, wind, rain, or ice on the roads
- Potholes or roadway debris
- Defective guardrails
- Reduced visibility
- Defective tires.
If you or a loved one is injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to financial damages. This is especially true if the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence.
Damages You May Be Entitled To
A Skilled Car Accident Attorney in Hazard, KY Will Fight Aggressively for You.
You may be eligible for compensation of varying amounts, depending on the accident, the severity of your injuries, and the party found at fault.
- Medical expenses (current and future)
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning potential
- Property damages
- Funeral and burial expenses (wrongful death)
- Shock and mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium (loss of companionship for your spouse)
- Emotional distress
- Scarring and disfigurement
Punitive Damages (does not always apply)
Punitive damages are in addition to economic and non-economic damages, and they are sometimes imposed by a judge who wants to punish a defendant for negligence that is especially egregious or for a previous record of safety violations. Punitive damages are meant to warn other potential offenders who might be tempted to do the same thing.
Common Injuries in Car Accidents
In the event that you or a member of your family is involved in a collision involving a car or truck, there is a chance that you or your loved one will be hurled into the windshield, crushed by twisted metal, or cut by flying glass. Many severe injuries can result from a car accident in Hazard, KY. Listed below are some examples of common injuries:
- TBI and brain injury
- Broken bones
- Neck and spinal cord injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Cuts, abrasions, and puncture wounds
- Organ damage
- Wrongful death.
If you have sustained a serious injury in a car accident, follow these steps to ensure your protection and safety:
- Call 911 and ask for police to respond to the scene.
- Seek medical attention right away.
- Get the driver’s license and insurance information of the other driver.
- Get names and contact info of any bystanders or eyewitnesses.
- If you are able, take pictures with your phone of your injuries, damage to both vehicles, and the accident site itself.
- Answer police questions succinctly but do not elaborate or acknowledge fault.
- Hire a Hazard, KY car accident lawyer to represent you.
Deadliest Roadways in Kentucky
There were 156,758 vehicle collisions on Kentucky’s public roads in which 732 people were killed and 32,871 were injured, according to 2019 traffic collision facts from Kentucky State Police. One in 133 Kentucky residents were injured in traffic accidents. About 66% of crashes involved two or more moving vehicles and 16% were collisions with fixed objects. Roughly 3,069 were collisions with deer. About 35% of all collisions occurred on Kentucky’s “State Numbered” roads, and 49% of all fatalities occurred on these roads. About 22% of all collisions happened on city streets.
The 5 deadliest interstates in Kentucky are:
- I-64 – With 2,290 collisions and 15 fatal crashes, the 64 isn’t much lower than the I-65 in terms of traffic.
- I-75 – With 3,658 collisions and 19 fatal collisions, this highway had the most collisions and fatalities.
- I-65 – There were 2,837 crashes and 13 fatal collisions in the second-highest number of accidents.
- I-24 – The number of collisions on this interstate were 615 collisions,. Four of these were fatal.
- I-265 – The number of collisions on this interstate were 795 collisions with 3 being fatal.
Although the number of collisions on Kentucky’s other interstates is nowhere like that of the highways mentioned above, there are still a lot of collisions on these roadways.
- I-71 – 1,163 collisions and 7 fatal collisions.
- I-275 – 896 collisions and 4 fatal collisions.
- I-471 – 402 collisions and 0 fatal collisions.
The deadliest parkways in Kentucky for traffic crashes are:
- Bluegrass Parkway
- Purchase Parkway
- Daniel Boone Parkway.
Driving Safety Tips
You are being a responsible driver who also increases the safety of those around you when you practice safe driving habits. Always remember to:
- Drive Defensively. You can drive comfortably and avoid making other drivers nervous on the road by maintaining a distance of a few vehicle lengths behind them and adhering to the posted speed limit. You will have enough time and distance to slow down your vehicle if the vehicle in front of you needs to stop fast.
- Avoid Distractions. It can be difficult to decide to put your phone away while driving, but doing so puts you and those around you in risk. Distractions aren’t limited to phones. You can’t give the road your whole attention if you’re eating or changing the radio station.
- Check Weather. Check the forecast to see if any storms are predicted to occur while you are driving. If you don’t need to travel, you might want to wait until the weather is clear. If you are traveling in bad weather, slow down, check your lights, or think about stopping and waiting for the storm to pass.
Different Types of Crashes
Accidents involving motor vehicles can range from minor to severe. There are typically those that are more lethal than others. Crash types include:
- Rear-end collision
- Side-impact collision
- Sideswipe collision
- Head-on collision
- Single-car accident
- Multiple-vehicle pile-up
- Pedestrian collision.
Statute of Limitations on Car Accident Claims in Hazard, KY
Claims for personal injury that result from automobile collisions are subject to the same time limits as claims for any other kind of case. The time constraints outlined in Chapter 413 of the Kentucky Revised Statutes apply to all legal proceedings that take place in the state of Kentucky (KRS). Because of this, a delay of even a few days can be the deciding factor in whether your claim will be heard by the court or whether it will be thrown out.
A few limited exemptions are available from the statute of limitations. If you have questions about whether you are still within the statute of limitations for your particular case, you should discuss the matter with a car accident attorney in Hazard, Kentucky.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Hazard, KY Car Accident Lawyer?
Here’s the good news. A Hazard, KY car accident lawyer at Billy Johnson Law Firm works on contingency, which means that we don’t get paid until you get paid. Your legal fees are paid by the defendant as part of a settlement agreement or jury award. If, for some reason, your claim is not successful, then you owe us nothing. You don’t have to worry about up-front money to hire our attorney to represent you.
Choosing the Best Car Accident Lawyers in Hazard, KY, KY
Billy Johnson Law Firm Stands Head and Shoulders Above the Rest
The skilled attorneys at our law firm fight hard to get the justice our clients deserve. We are aggressive with opponents and compassionate toward our clients. We understand that you’ve been through a traumatic experience and your family may be scared and suffering. We’ve helped countless clients walk through the frightening experience of car crash injuries.
We’ll stand beside you every step of the way. To learn more about our legal team, you can see our attorney bios here. You can read testimonials from our happy and satisfied clients. You can also review our successful verdicts and settlements.
Contact Billy Johnson Law Firm Today
If you’ve been injured in a crash, you don’t have to go it alone. Let a skilled and experienced Hazard, KY car accident lawyer fight for the compensation you deserve. At Billy Johnson Law Firm, we are committed to getting you justice! To find out about how we can help, call us at (606) 437-4488.
FREE Case Consult
MAKE IT OUR FIGHT
Table of Contents
February 20, 2024
Kentucky is notorious for the unpredictability of our weather. This roller coaster weather that Kentuckians bemoan is caused by the jet stream that falls across the state, dropping cold air down from the Great Lakes or p...
December 19, 2021
Riding your motorcycle on a beautiful day and enjoying the scenery can be a great experience. But all of that can change in an instant if your motorcycle is hit by a car from behind. Because cars are so much bigger and...