Kentucky Truck Accident Victims Trust Billy Johnson
We help victims of truck accidents get the compensation they deserve.
Smaller vehicles are no match for a big truck in an accident. Large trucks are difficult to maneuver; and when loaded with freight, they may take 20 to 40 percent longer to stop than a car. It’s no wonder that an accident with a truck may result in catastrophic injuries such as head, back or neck injuries; brain injuries; spinal cord injuries; paralysis; amputations; broken bones; and even death. Injured victims face mounting medical bills and expenses when they are suffering and may be unable to work, and their lives and those of their families may never be the same.
If you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died in a vehicle accident with a large truck, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses through insurance or a lawsuit. However, Kentucky laws for personal injury are complicated, and trucking companies and their insurers and lawyers will attempt to get you to settle for the lowest amount possible. Going up against them is not something you should attempt on your own, but an experienced Kentucky truck accident lawyer can fight for your rights and a fair settlement.
Attorney Billy Johnson of the Johnson Law Firm is highly skilled and compassionate when representing clients injured in truck crashes. He is aggressive when going after the negligent parties and holding trucking companies, manufacturers and insurance companies accountable for the damage done. Let Billy handle all legal hurdles involved with winning compensation, so you can focus on recovering and putting your life back together.
Fighting for Truck Accident Victims: Experience Matters
There are many personal injury attorneys, but they are not all equal. It is important to find one you can trust who also has the experience skills and resources to fight for the settlement you deserve. Here are some reasons why we feel you should choose the Johnson Law Firm:
- We are experienced. Attorney Billy Johnson is highly skilled and aggressive when going after the negligent parties and has been helping victims of truck and car crashes since 1998.
- We get results, including a $24 million settlement in a recent truck wreck case on the first day of trial.
- We are local and know Kentucky courts, judges and systems.
- We are compassionate and take a personal interest in each client. Billy Johnson won’t turn your case over to a less experienced personal injury attorney or paralegal; he gets to know your case inside out and works tirelessly for you. We have helped many satisfied clients, and you can read their testimonials here.
- We are certified and respected for the work we do. Billy Johnson has been recognized by the following organizations:
- Super Lawyer
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Instrument Rated Pilot.
- We offer free consultations to get you started, and there are no fees to you unless and until we win your case.
Protect Your Rights After a Truck Wreck: What Your Attorney Will Do
Trucking companies and their insurers have high-powered lawyers on their side. After an accident, trucking companies quickly send an investigation team to begin figuring out the best ways to limit their financial losses. They may try to manage the accident scene to limit or lessen the trucking company’s liability and even confront accident victims to get them to make oral or written statements that can be used against them.
That is why it is so important to have a truck accident attorney working for you as soon as possible.
When you have the Johnson Law Firm on your side, we will start working for you immediately. We will:
- Meet with you to discuss the individual circumstances of your case, determine who the at-fault parties may be, and estimate what kind of settlement we should be fighting for.
- Investigate the accident and gather evidence. We can hire accident reconstruction experts and conduct investigations by examining the scene of your accident, obtaining videos and photos of road conditions, skid marks and vehicle damage; interviewing eyewitnesses and first responders; examining the truck’s black box information and the truck driver’s cellphone records; and looking into past safety and hiring records to determine who or what is responsible for your crash.
- Deal with insurance companies and aggressively negotiate for a fair settlement. Insurance companies are more likely to take your case seriously if they know you have an attorney on your side willing to bring a lawsuit.
- Take your case to court and advocate on your behalf if necessary.
Our Kentucky truck accident lawyer will be there at every stage of the legal process, from handling discovery, filing pretrial motions, presenting evidence and making closing arguments, to filing an appeal if appropriate.
Know Your Rights: Types of Damages After a Truck Accident
After a truck accident that was not your fault, Billy Johnson will fight for a settlement that provides payment for the physical, emotional and financial losses that resulted from the crash. These are called damages and may include:
Economic damages — for calculable monetary losses, such as:
- Medical, hospital, and therapy expenses
- Lost wages and loss of potential future earnings if you cannot work
- Property damage
- Costs of modification to your home or vehicle, such as to accommodate a wheelchair.
Non-economic damages — for less tangible losses that do not have a specific dollar value but negatively impact your life, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium, companionship, and enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Wrongful death.
Punitive damages. In rare cases involving a defendant’s gross negligence or malicious intent to harm, you may also receive punitive damages. These are intended to punish the at-fault party for conduct considered especially outrageous or egregious and to deter others from acting similarly.
Unraveling Negligence: Why Truck Accident Cases Need Experts
Winning your case means proving that another party (the defendant in the case) was negligent and at fault for causing the accident. To prove negligence, our legal team would have to demonstrate the existence of the following factors:
- Duty — The defendant owed you a duty of reasonable care not to cause harm.
- Breach — The defendant breached this duty by actions or failure to act.
- Cause — This breach of duty caused the accident.
- Damages — You suffered injuries and damages as a result.
Proving negligence in truck accident cases is complicated, because there are often multiple parties involved who may be at fault and liable for damages. For example:
- Truck drivers must be in compliance with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations, including commercial driver’s license standards; safety fitness procedures; financial responsibility for motor carriers; hours of service for drivers; and inspection, repair and maintenance of vehicles. Drivers who violate regulations, or who are in a hurry, fatigued, or impaired, may negligently violate these requirements.
- Trucking companies may have been negligent in hiring, supervising, or training drivers, or companies may pressure drivers to exceed maximum hours-of-service regulations.
- Maintenance personnel may have failed to properly inspect, maintain and repair their trucks.
- Cargo companies may be responsible for improper load securement that could allow shifting and cause a crash.
- The municipality or company responsible for road maintenance may be held liable if faulty road conditions are responsible for the accident.
Our attorneys will investigate to find all potentially liable defendants and make sure they are included in the lawsuit, as they all may have insurance and assets which can go toward a settlement.
Truck Accident Attorney Answers Frequently Asked Questions
After a truck accident, you are bound to have questions and concerns. While these are best handled in your free consultation, here are some answers to questions our clients commonly ask:
What damage amount can I receive?
The amounts of damages you may be awarded in a successful lawsuit can range from thousands to millions of dollars, depending on the individual circumstances of the case. In general, the greater your costs and the more severe and permanent your injuries, the higher the settlement. The skill and negotiating power of your attorney is also a factor.
What if a family member dies after a truck accident?
When a truck accident results in the death of a loved one, our attorneys may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. In a successful case, your family could receive an award for pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of consortium, and funeral costs. In addition, a lawsuit could force the trucking company to improve its safety protocols, potentially preventing future truck accidents and other deaths.
Should I speak to the insurance companies?
No, never try to negotiate with insurance companies on your own. Insurance companies want to pay as little as possible and may use tactics such as offering you a quick settlement for less than your case is worth, or attempt to trick you into saying something that can be used against you, such as admitting that you were partially at fault for the accident.
What if I did something to contribute to the accident?
If you did something to contribute to the accident, you might still be able to receive compensation. According to Kentucky Revised Statutes section 411.182, the amount of damages you can recover in a lawsuit is reduced by the same percentage you are found to be at fault for causing the crash. For example, if it is determined that you were 10 percent at fault and the settlement was for $100,000, you could still collect $90,000.
Are there time limits for filing a lawsuit?
Yes, Kentucky has a statute of limitations, a deadline for filing a lawsuit for personal injury or wrongful death cases. According to the law (KRS 413.135), you generally have just one year from the date of the accident that led to the injury to file; otherwise, the court system will probably refuse to hear your case.
When you have Billy Johnson working for you, we will be there throughout the entire legal process, answering all your questions and addressing your concerns.
“I was so impressed by this law firm. The speed, accuracy, bluntness, and courtesy was so much better than I could have ever expected. Billy, Brittney, and Michelle were always so great. I especially feel like I got close to Michelle. She was always so nice and patient. Answered all of my questions, and if she couldn’t, she got me to Billy or Brittney right away. But they all feel like family to me now. They are real people who really care about their clients.” – Ruth Dutton.
Get Skilled Legal Representation for Truck Accidents
A KENTUCKY TRUCK WRECK LAWYER KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUILDING A LEGAL CLAIM.
If you or a loved one was injured in a truck accident, do not go it alone. Get help from a strong and experienced Kentucky truck accident attorney who knows how to go toe-to-toe with insurance companies and get results.
Attorney Billy Johnson has decades of legal experience helping families just like yours. He knows the ins and outs of a courtroom, and he has successfully secured settlements and jury awards on behalf of his clients across Kentucky. He will aggressively fight for your rights and seek the financial compensation you deserve.
FREE Case Consult
MAKE IT OUR FIGHT
Table of Contents
February 20, 2024
Kentucky is notorious for the unpredictability of our weather. This roller coaster weather that Kentuckians bemoan is caused by the jet stream that falls across the state, dropping cold air down from the Great Lakes or p...
December 19, 2021
Riding your motorcycle on a beautiful day and enjoying the scenery can be a great experience. But all of that can change in an instant if your motorcycle is hit by a car from behind. Because cars are so much bigger and...