Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Whitesburg Can Win Compensation
Kentucky roads attract many motorcyclists, especially on routes that traverse scenic rural landscapes, such as U.S. 23. However, Kentucky highways can also be dangerous for motorcycle riders, as motorcycles provide little protection in a crash. As a result, serious injuries are common, and people on motorcycles are 28 times more likely to die than people in other vehicles, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Survivors may be left dealing with pain, mounting medical bills, and loss of income from being unable to work.
If you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died in a motorcycle accident due to another party’s negligence or fault, you may be entitled to compensation for the damages you received. However, Kentucky laws are complicated, and insurance companies will try to deny your claim and put the blame for the accident on you, so it is difficult to get fair compensation on your own.
Fortunately, there is help available from the experienced motorcycle accident lawyer at the Johnson Law Firm. Billy Johnson rides motorcycles himself, so he knows the obstacles victims face and how to fight for maximum compensation for injured motorcycle clients.
Our Whitesburg motorcycle accident team offers a free consultation to discuss the circumstances of your accident and determine the best way to move forward. There are no fees unless and until we win a settlement for you, so call our office today to have your case reviewed for free.
FREE CONSULT (606) 437-4488
Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Win Big
Why Choose Us
There are many lawyers out there, and you should find one you not only feel comfortable with, but who has the experience and record of success you need. Here are some reasons why we feel you should choose the Johnson Law Firm:
- We know motorcycles. Whitesburg motorcycle accident lawyer Billy Johnson received his first motorcycle at the age of 5 and has been riding ever since; he knows the biases motorcyclists are up against.
- We are experienced. Billy has handled all types of motorcycle injury claims, including wrongful death cases, in Kentucky and in other states.
- We know how to fight for our clients and hold negligent parties accountable. We are experienced, tough and unflinching when pursuing financial compensation and have won millions for our clients. Since 1998 we have handled thousands of difficult injury cases throughout Kentucky. We have a long record of success, including a $9 million negotiated pre-trial settlement in a truck accident case.
- We have helped many satisfied clients. You can read their testimonials here.
- We are local and have many offices throughout Kentucky.
- We offer free consultations, and there are no fees to you unless and until we win a settlement.
At the Billy Johnson Law Firm, our track record demonstrates that we don’t settle for low-ball offers from insurance companies. Don’t believe what insurance companies tell you and accept smaller payouts. Let Billy Johnson and his fellow attorneys fiercely negotiate for the most compensation possible.
How Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Work for You
Motorcycle accidents can be catastrophic, causing problems such as brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, and amputations. When you hire Billy Johnson, we will get to work for you immediately. We will:
- Meet with you to discuss how your accident happened, who the at-fault parties may be, and determine how much compensation your case may be worth.
- Gather evidence, such as from accident scene photos and videos and police and medical records.
- Interview eyewitnesses, medical providers, and first responders.
- Utilize experts to reconstruct the accident as well as medical, life-care, disability, and rehabilitation experts to provide testimony as to your costs and the negative effects your injuries have on your life.
- File all paperwork and make court appearances.
- Handle dealings and negotiations with insurance companies and attorneys to reach a fair settlement.
- Build a powerful case on your behalf and argue it in front of a jury if necessary.
Billy Johnson has the legal knowledge and financial resources to conduct investigations, gather evidence, hire experts, and do everything necessary to build a powerful case on your behalf. We will make every effort to negotiate a settlement, but we are fully prepared to take your case to trial.
CALL US TODAY (606) 437-4488
Compensation a Kentucky Motorcycle Accident Lawyer May Recover
In a successful case, our spinal injury attorneys can win an award to compensate both your monetary or economic losses from the accident and your non-economic losses that do not have a specific dollar value, but negatively impact your life. These are called “damages” and may include payment for:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Equipment such as wheelchairs and costs to modify a home or vehicle
- Lost income from being unable to work
- Property damage, such as to replace your vehicle
- Funeral and burial costs in cases of wrongful death.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Loss of quality and enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium.
There are a wide range of damage awards you may receive in a successful lawsuit, from the thousands to millions of dollars. Amounts depend on factors such as the extent and permanence of your injuries, your actual costs, and whether there was a wrongful death involved. The skill and negotiating ability of your attorney is also a factor, and our Whitesburg motorcycle accident lawyer will calculate all your damages and fight for compensation that covers them all.
Whitesburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Must Prove Negligence
After an accident, no-fault personal injury protection (PIP) insurance may cover your losses up to the policy limit — if you have insurance. If you have greater damages than the policy limits or don’t have insurance, you can go beyond no-fault and sue someone who was negligent and caused your accident.
To win your case, our attorneys would have to prove that another party, the defendant in the case, was negligent and at fault for the accident and your resulting injuries. Proving negligence legally means showing the existence of the following elements:
- Duty: The defendant owed you a duty of care not to cause harm.
- Breach: The defendant breached this duty and failed to exercise this care through actions or failure to act.
- Cause: The breach of duty caused your injuries.
- Damages: You suffered actual damages as a result.
Our motorcycle accident lawyer in Whitesburg will aggressively investigate and collect the appropriate evidence for your case to show how defendants were negligent. In some cases, there may be several parties who contributed to the accident, and we would look to identify them all since they all may have insurance and assets that can go toward a settlement.
For example, if your accident was caused by a commercial truck — the driver, the trucking company or owner, the company that loaded the cargo, and the manufacturer of the truck or parts that failed may all be potentially liable.
Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Answer Questions
After a motorcycle crash, it’s natural to have questions and concerns. While these are best addressed at your free consultation, it may help to start with answers to some questions our Whitesburg motorcycle accident lawyers are often asked:
What are some types of negligence that cause motorcycle accidents?
Common manifestations of negligence that cause motorcycle accidents include:
- Driving under the influence or while drowsy or distracted
- Failure to obey traffic rules, signs and signals
- Reckless driving, such as speeding or making a left tun in front of an oncoming motorcycle
- Failure of another driver to recognize the motorcycle as a vehicle.
What if I contributed to the accident?
If you did something that contributed to the accident, such as driving with a headlight, brake light, or tail light out, you may still collect compensation, but the amount will be reduced according to the degree you are found to be at fault. For example, if it is determined that you were 20 percent at fault and the settlement was for $100,000, our motorcycle accident attorneys could still help you collect $80,000.
I wasn’t wearing a helmet — can I still recover damages from the other driver?
You should be able to collect damages even if you weren’t wearing a helmet. Motorcycle helmet law in Kentucky states that motorcycle operators or passengers under the age of 21, operators with a permit, or a license for less than a year are required to wear a DOT-approved helmet. Even so, your failure to comply with that law will probably not prevent you from recovering for your injuries if someone else caused the accident. If your failure to wear a helmet contributed to your injuries, your compensation may be reduced accordingly.
Should I talk to the insurance company?
No, the less you say to them the better. Insurance adjusters are not on your side – they are out for profit and want to pay out as little as possible. They have a team of high-powered lawyers on their side, and they will use anything you say against you to lessen or deny payments. Tell the insurance companies to speak to your attorney, and let Billy Johnson handle all dealings and negotiations with insurers.
Do I need a lawyer to get compensation?
While you technically do not need a lawyer to get compensation, it is advisable to have one. Billy Johnson offers free consultations, and will help you understand whether you have a valid claim for damages and the best way to proceed with getting them. We can deal with complicated issues such as compliance with traffic laws, motor vehicle regulations, medical treatment, and liability. In addition, insurance companies are more likely to take your case seriously when you have a lawyer on your side, as they don’t want to have to take your case to court.
When you have our Whitesburg motorcycle accident attorneys on your side, we will be there to answer your questions and address your concerns throughout the entire legal process.
Get Help from Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Whitesburg
Choosing Billy Johnson means choosing peace of mind. We fight hard for motorcycle accident victims because we believe in justice and care about our fellow community members. Don’t accept a payout from an insurance company before consulting us. We will thoroughly research your case and fight to get you the maximum amount of money your claim warrants.
Do not delay. Kentucky has time limits, called a statute of limitations (KRS 413.135), for filing a lawsuit for personal injury. In general, you have just one year from the date of the accident that led to the injury to file or the court system will most probably refuse to hear your case. Our attorneys will ensure everything is filed correctly, in a timely manner; the sooner you call us, the sooner we can get started, while evidence is fresh and witnesses can be found.
Call our office today to get started. An experienced Whitesburg motorcycle accident is ready to help you move forward with your case and fight for the compensation you deserve. Let us handle all legal hurdles so you can focus on your recovery.
GET HELP NOW (606) 437-4488
FREE Case Consult
MAKE IT OUR FIGHT
Table of Contents
February 20, 2024
Kentucky is notorious for the unpredictability of our weather. This roller coaster weather that Kentuckians bemoan is caused by the jet stream that falls across the state, dropping cold air down from the Great Lakes or p...
December 19, 2021
Riding your motorcycle on a beautiful day and enjoying the scenery can be a great experience. But all of that can change in an instant if your motorcycle is hit by a car from behind. Because cars are so much bigger and...