Kentucky Lawyer for Drag Racing Crashes Fights for Compensation
Car racing can be dangerous, even on a controlled and secure race track, so it is no small wonder it is illegal to have a drag race on a public street. Drivers who choose the risky “sport” of racing can easily lose control of their vehicles, causing accidents that often leave victims severely injured and facing mounting medical, rehabilitative, and household expenses at a time they are unable to work. Some injuries even lead to death.
If you or loved one has been seriously injured or someone has died due to the fault of drag racers, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses and expenses. While no amount of money can make up for the suffering involved, a personal injury claim can relieve the burdens of the financial, physical and emotional consequences of the accident and help injured victims rebuild their lives.
Kentucky injury law is complicated, and insurance companies retain high-powered lawyers who will often try to get you to settle for the lowest amount possible or deny claims altogether, so it is difficult to go up against them on your own. Fortunately, there is legal help available to fight for the settlement you deserve.
The drag racing accident lawyers at the Johnson Law Firm offer a free case evaluation to determine the best way to handle your case. Let us navigate the legal complexities and negotiations involved with pursuing maximum financial recoveries from drag racers and their insurance companies, so you can focus on your family and recovery.
Why Choose Our Street Racing Accident Lawyer
There are many personal injury attorneys, but to get the best results, it is important to find one who has experience dealing with car crashes, and the skills and resources to fight for the settlement you deserve. Here are some reasons why we feel you should choose the Johnson Law Firm to represent you:
- We are experienced. Attorney Billy Johnson is highly skilled and aggressive when going after the negligent parties and has been helping injury victims and their families put their lives back together since 1998. At the same time, he is compassionate and caring toward the families he serves.
- We get results, including a $24 million settlement in a recent truck wreck case on the first day of trial.
- We are local and know Kentucky courts, judges and systems, and we take a personal interest in each client. Billy Johnson won’t turn your case over to a less experienced personal injury attorney or paralegal; he gets to know your case inside out and works tirelessly for you. Here are some client testimonials so you can see how we have helped others.
- We are certified and respected for the work we do. Billy Johnson has been recognized by the following organizations:
- Super Lawyer
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Instrument Rated Pilot.
- We offer free consultations to get you started, and there are no fees to you unless and until we win your case.
How Our Kentucky Law Firm for Drag Racing Cases Works for You
After a drag racing accident, it is important to get legal assistance as quickly as possible to make sure evidence and witnesses can be found. When you retain the Johnson Law Firm on your side, we start working for you immediately. We will:
- Meet with you to discuss the circumstances of the accident and determine who the negligent parties may be, what insurance is available, the extent of your damages, and what your case should be worth
- Ensure you receive proper medical care and that all injuries are documented
- Conduct investigations and gather evidence to support your case such as photos and videos of the accident scene, interviews with witnesses and first responders, laboratory reports and test results, and police, ambulance and medical records
- File all necessary paperwork and make court appearances according to Kentucky laws and requirements
- Pursue expert testimony as to fault and experts to testify as to the extent of your injuries and the costs and effects on your life into the future
- Correspond and negotiate with insurance companies and opposition attorneys for a fair settlement
- Build your case and represent your interests in court, if necessary, to pursue maximum compensation.
At the Johnson Law Firm, we make every attempt to get a fair settlement out of court, but if the other side doesn’t cooperate or offers less than you deserve, we are fully prepared to take it to a trial.
Racing Injury Attorney Must Prove Negligence
To win your drag racing personal injury case, our legal team must be able to show that another party was negligent and at fault for causing the accident that injured you. Doing so requires showing the existence of the following legal elements:
- Duty. The defendant owed you a duty of care not to cause harm.
- Breach. The defendant breached that duty by recklessly drag racing.
- Cause. This breach caused the accident that injured you.
- Damages. You suffered damages as a result.
All drivers have a legal duty to not drive in a manner that endangers others. When the accident involves street racing, the negligent parties not only violate the duty of care to drive safely, they do something against the law. According to Kentucky Statute 189.505, “No person shall engage upon any street or highway in motor vehicle racing, drag racing, or any other form of competition involving motor vehicles.”
Street racing is so obviously risky and intentional that it is often viewed as grossly negligent. If a driver is street racing on a public Kentucky road, he or she is completely ignoring the safety of others. Legally speaking, this is an extremely important distinction to make, because victims of gross negligence may seek punitive damages.
Racing Injury Attorney Seeks Optimum Damage Awards
Drag racing is dangerous to drivers, spectators, and innocent parties who may just be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Drivers who participate in street or highway races can cause a car crash, strike pedestrians, or lose control over their vehicle and cause damage to fences, signs, buildings, and parked cars.
In a successful Kentucky street racing case, we will fight for an award that includes both economic damages for your monetary losses and noneconomic damages for losses that do not have a specific dollar value but still negatively impact your life. These may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Loss of current and future income and benefits from being unable to work
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Property damaged in the accident
- Wrongful death.
Since gross negligence is often a factor in drag racing, you may also receive punitive damages. Often referred to as exemplary damages, punitive damages are a form of compensation that is designed to punish the reckless actions of a grossly negligent party, above the usual damages the defendant would owe. Victims of street-racing accidents are entitled to seek full extent compensatory damages, but substantial punitive damages can be awarded on top of these. Cases involving punitive damages are especially complex and almost always require professional legal assistance.
Damage Award Amounts
There are a wide range of damage amounts possible in a drag racing case, from the thousands to millions of dollars. The amount you receive will depend the individual circumstances involved in your case. Some factors that come into play are the costs, severity, and permanence of your injuries; whether you will need continuing care; and the degree of negligence involved.
Get Legal Representation for Racing Accidents
If you have been hurt or a loved one has been injured or killed in a traffic accident where illegal street racing may have been involved, the experienced legal team at Eastern Kentucky’s Billy Johnson Law Firm can help. We are committed to seeking full financial recovery for those who have been hurt by drivers who choose to ignore the law and risk lives by racing in our community’s streets and highways. In addition to paying for their crimes, when street racers injure or kill Kentucky citizens, they also deserve to pay for the injuries, damages and losses their willful negligence causes their victims.
Call us today at 606-437-4488 for a free, no-obligation consultation to get started. If we don’t collect, you don’t pay.
FREE Case Consult
MAKE IT OUR FIGHT
Table of Contents
February 20, 2024
Kentucky is notorious for the unpredictability of our weather. This roller coaster weather that Kentuckians bemoan is caused by the jet stream that falls across the state, dropping cold air down from the Great Lakes or p...
December 19, 2021
Riding your motorcycle on a beautiful day and enjoying the scenery can be a great experience. But all of that can change in an instant if your motorcycle is hit by a car from behind. Because cars are so much bigger and...